Succulents for all Seasons

My little fall creation.


How cute are these little pumpkins decorated with succulents! I discovered this idea as I was researching how to create a fall arrangement using a hollowed out pumpkin as the container. You can certainly do that of course, but I also discovered that you can simply glue succulents to a bed of moss ON TOP of a pumpkin! The glue (liquid, or glue gun) does not harm the plants and they can later be used in another arrangement or replanted.

As it happened, I had some succulents that were outdoors all summer and I needed to bring them in for the winter. About a year ago, someone in our local garden club was giving a bunch of these little cuties away and I grabbed a few. Over the winter I stuck them in pots and propagated more by sticking broken off leaves in soil. At Christmas I used some to create a little arrangement in a bowl with pine cones and a few ornaments. Below is a pot I had on my deck this summer.



Deconstruction and Reconstruction 

After watching a few very informative videos, I felt confident enough to begin taking apart my summer arrangement and rearranging the succulents on top of my pumpkins. When pumpkin season is over I plan to re-pot these plants and perhaps use them in a Christmas arrangement. I discovered that it does take a lot of succulents to cover the top of a pumpkin (and mine are small). However, the winter is long and I have a big sunny window in my basement "woman cave", so there will be more sweet little rosettes by spring!


Taking apart my "summer deck succulents" to create my fall pumpkins.

For some great videos on creating with succulents check out the links below!

Happy Fall!


Creating a succulent topped pumpkin with Laura Eubanks

Succulent topped pumpkin or squash by Garden Answer

Adding height to a succulent arrangement by Garden Answer

Over Wintering Succulents

Comments

Popular Posts