Mask Making 101

Hubby and I sporting our new look .. can you tell we are smiling?

My sewing machine has been humming away these days. I feel like I am making bandages to send to the front lines! Since our medical health officials began recommending that homemade face masks could be beneficial in helping reduce the cases of Covid 19, my "woman cave/ craft room/ art studio/ potting shed" has been strewn with fabric scraps, pins, scissors and ponytail holders!

This was taken only a few days ago after a recent spring storm. On a sunny day though the warmth streams in and I enjoy working on projects while basking in the sun!

Ponytail Holders?

Who would have thought a month ago that 1/4 inch elastic would be as scarce as hen's teeth? (elastic is used in some designs of protective masks to go around the ears) Ah, but not to worry …. the internet has the answer (thanks to inventive people!) and thus all you need is a $2.00 pack of ponytail holders as a substitute. Who knew? These masks are great for a trip to the grocery store or pharmacy.


Bottom one with elastic / the top with hair bands that are cut and sewn in the corners
Here is the tutorial that I found most useful for this type of mask. (scroll down a ways to see video)
Face Mask from Deaconess.com

Kim's Creation!

On a recent "virtual cocktail" hour with my niece Kim in Ontario, I gathered more information about the art of mask making. She is making them for the purpose of helping those in the healthcare field and has done much more research on the subject than I have. I learned from her that the elastics that go around the ears to keep them in place can be very irritating to someone who has to wear one for eight hours or more. Therefore ties are better. 
Kim sent me a link to a pattern on Pinterest which I am currently trying out, as well as a her video of her finished product which not only includes a pocket for a filter, but also a slipknot system instead of having to manually tie the strings behind your head!

Checkout her video!




Comments

Popular Posts