Urban Sketching

A sketch of me sketching by Lisa Robinson, a member of the Fredericton Chapter of Urban Sketchers.
For a couple of years I have been aware of a group called "Urban Sketchers"  http://www.urbansketchers.org/ . Urban Sketchers is a non-profit organization, with chapters all over the world, that facilitates and encourages artists/individuals to sketch their surrounding in the places where they live or places they travel to. The main purpose is to capture what is seen at a moment in time, whether it's from your living room window, a cafĂ©, in a park or on a street corner. All sketches are to be done on location, not from a photo or memory. Sharing by posting on line is encouraged.

If you love art, check out the website above. I am fascinated by all the drawings that I see there from all over the world. The many styles, techniques and interpretations are truly amazing. I recently began to follow Urban Sketchers on Instagram and now enjoy daily inspiration!

Exciting Discovery!

As I mentioned I have followed Urban Sketchers for a while and always thought it would great to participate with such a group. To my surprise I recently discovered that there is a chapter in Fredericton! (only about an hour away!) How exciting! So …. this Saturday, I was pleased to be able to join a group of "sketchers" in the beautiful town of Fredericton for a morning sketch in several locations. The plan was to bike to several spots for 30 minute sketches. I didn't bike, but was able to meet up with the group at each spot. The morning was quite "crisp" and there were only a few dedicated sketchers but what a lovely, friendly group they were. 
While my sketches left a lot to be desired (I blame it on the cold weather!), I am inspired to forge on and practice interpreting and capturing my environment every chance I get. 

Scenes from some of our locations.
Some of my sketches … cold fingers is my excuse!
Check out the Fredericton Urban Sketchers at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/urbansketchersfredericton/

Comments

Popular Posts