Notre Dame

Notre Dame's flying buttresses! (Britannica)

What a tragedy that Notre Dame Cathedral was severely damaged by fire this week in Paris! I heard that, while the people of France came together to morn the damage to this historical and beloved landmark, they were surprised to discover that many people worldwide were also saddened by the devastation.
I remember being in Paris many, many years ago taking in the sites, the Eiffel Tower (of course), the Paris Opera House and the Palace of Versailles. I remember seeing the outside of Notre Dame, and the famous "flying buttresses" but don't really remember the inside. That doesn't necessarily mean that I wasn't there - but it was 1975, and I was 21!

This event makes me think of other structures that I have seen and been impressed with, and I would be very sad to see anything happen to them. While an awesome structure or landmark may be near and dear to the people of the surrounding area or country, it may also be special to those further afield.
The many wonders of the world belong to everyone!

So as I watch the Notre Dame tragedy, I reflect on other structures that have impressed me.

In 1975 I was on my "gap year" (well after university but before work or whatever). My travels took me from England to Morocco, to Italy, Yugoslavia and north to Germany. I saw a lot of landmarks, museums, and churches etc. and they were all great, but after "medieval/ renaissance overkill" there were two "churches" that, for me stand out: Canterbury Cathedral and Saint Peter's Basilica.

Canterbury Cathedral

Shortly after arriving in England, at the beginning of my European adventure, my friend and I took a trip to Canterbury Cathedral. I felt like I was in the land of King Arthur! Oh my, the Gothic-ness! The intricate medieval detail! The tombs and sarcophaguses! 

Related image

 My memory of Canterbury Cathedral consists of light grey stone, detailed and ornate, but not heavy …. if that makes any sense? Compared to other churches, it had a more serene, peaceful feeling. And when I saw the tombs with sculptures of deceased knights and queens I truly felt like I was in Camelot!





Check out the quick video below of Canterbury Cathedral, one of my favorites!

Canterbury Cathedral

Saint Peter's Basilica 

I have often remarked that, of all the Churches that I saw in Europe ….. and there were lots of them! The one that stands out the most, is Saint Peter's Basilica. The interior of the Basilica featured huge statues and lots of ornate detail but what makes it stand out from all other "churches" is its size. The structure is so huge that it easily accommodates all the sculptures and ornamentation without it feeling cluttered.
The nave of Saint Peter's Basilica (Reid's Italy)



Michelangelo's Pieta

Within the walls of the Basilica and behind bulletproof glass you can view Michelangelo's Pieta. (In 1972 it was damaged by a spectator.) A photo does not compare to seeing the real thing! As a young person who had already been over exposed to art works by the masters, I remember being incredibly impressed with the stunning beauty of this sculpture.

Michael Angelo's Pieta (ItalianRenaissance.org)
So, there you have it …. my top two favorite churches in Europe (or anywhere I've been). Hope they are being well looked after and kept safe from damage!
Saint Peter's Basilica (Wikipedia)
Canterbury Cathedral (Wikipedia)



Comments

Popular Posts