January Hibernation etc.

A photo I took on my first outing on snowshoes this year a few weeks ago.

The month of January was truly a month of hibernation for me! I had an ear and sinus infection as well a few minor flu episodes …. even though I had the flu shot! I wasn't sick enough to be in bed and really miserable, just sick enough to want to hibernate and do nothing. It's been just the last few weeks that I've got a bit of energy back!

Although I spent the last six weeks or so being a "slug" they haven't been entirely unproductive. I've managed to read a few good books (you can read them on the couch!) , began propagating succulents, created a macramé wall hanging, added four pages to the "quiet book" I started for Louisa (my granddaughter), and planned and booked a trip to Ireland.

  •  The books I read included  A Nearly Normal Family by E.T. Evardsson , which was a real page turner and The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. The first was a pic from my book club and Lahiri's book was one I picked up at the library because I have enjoyed other books by this author. ( I love stories set in India or based on the lives of Indian immigrants … I guess because of my year in Bangladesh) 
  • Since I got a few "free" succulent plants a year ago from the garden club I belong to, I have been in love with these hardy, fascinating plants. Over the winter I plan to try propagating as many as possible. I have a nice big window in by basement and hubby got me a grow light for Christmas so here goes!
succulents starting to reproduce


  • In recent decorating magazines I spied, believe it or not, macramé  wall hangings! I saw them in Winners too. At first I chuckled and shook my head ..... due to the fact that these knotted cords were everywhere in the 70's. If I had a nickel for every macrame plant hanger, toilet roll holder or wall hanging I made back in the day, I'd be rich! But now it seems, these textured, decorative pieces are being incorporated with modern day décor. So I thought I would give it a try. ....... However, as it turns out, sometimes you can never go back!   After spending a couple of days knotting away, my masterpiece was ready to hang. I hung it up, stood back and said YUK! It had to come down! I just couldn't do it! It was way too retro for me. I should have known ….. just like I wouldn't be caught dead in a tie died T shirt and long denim skirt made out of old jeans! 
That's it! Any takers?


  •  Before Christmas I started a "quiet book" or "busy book". The idea of these cloth or felt books are to include lots of flaps, buttons, moving parts etc. to hold the interest of babies and toddlers. There are oodles of ideas online. However, they are not that easy to create since I was making the pattern up as I went along.  Anyway, I managed to get three double sided pages completed. Big rings that open and close will allow pages to be added.   ……. if nothing else, it kept me busy and quiet!

  • We began looking for flights to Spain and ended up booking a return flight to Dublin. Long story short - my friend and I are going to Ireland in April for ten days. We have Airbnbs and hotels booked and a general idea of what places we want to visit. The rest is still in the planning process ..... something else to keep me "busy" and "quiet" during these last days of winter!


Comments

Popular Posts