Summer Recap

 

Who says you can't have garden art from the Dollar Store!

It's been a while! The summer just seemed to slip by and my blogging ideas dried up. I'll blame it on the heat and all the time I spent lugging water to my plot in the community garden. This summer has been one of the hottest I can ever remember here in our little maritime community (close enough to the ocean to moderate the heat but out of the fog belt!)


Highlights

Every summer has its successes and failures, depending on the weather that year, the abundance of pests, neglect or sometimes for no clear reason. Above are some of my highlights for this year.

  •  Top left are my little succulent babies that I have been nurturing all year. I discovered that they do best outside undercover, with lots of indirect light and protection from too much rain or hot sun.
  • Bottom left are Rose Campion, a sweet perennial that produces bright pink flowers and has grey-green foliage similar to lamb's ear. (I found this along a walking trail, having strayed from the property of nearby garden)
  • Top right are "wave" pansies. I usually plant Johnny Jump-Ups but was only able to secure these and they've done very well ..... only four plants in there!
  • Middle right are Cleome plants that I grew from seeds that I collected from last year's plants. They're kind of floppy and smell a little skunky but anything that the deer won't eat is a keeper in my books!
  • Bottom right are my hens and chicks that were humongous this year!

Failures:

It was definitely the season of the slug! My lupines were chewed to bits! Due to unusually dry weather, and it was a struggle to keep up with the watering. 

More Highlights:

A beautiful patch of Rose Campion from one of our garden tours!


In spite of all the Covid restrictions, our garden club was able to arrange garden tours through out the summer. It was just what we needed to not only see some beautiful gardens in our community, but to see each other! (from a distance of course)


How awesome is this view from one of our tours this summer? A beautiful home with a garden overlooking the bay of Fundy at Saint Martin's!



Thus, as the summer of 2020 draws to a close it will be remembered for more than sunny weather and pretty blossoms. Here's to better times ahead! 

Comments

Popular Posts