I Feel Knitty

 


One of my "Covid Winter" goals, besides nurturing house plants, is to improve my knitting skills, so I'm feeling very "knitty" these days (aka pretty). (I have to credit the knitty phrase from a knitting themed greeting card created by a local artist/acquaintance.) 

I would assess my current knitting skills at just a notch above dish cloths but thanks to YouTube I have learned some new tricks.


A pair of mouse mittens for Louisa. Looks like one is bigger but they're actually the same.

Visions of Mittens

To begin my knitting journey I have chosen to make mittens for my granddaughter, Louisa. I figure that since she's only two, she won't mind if there are a few mistakes and besides more mittens are always better since they tend to go missing from time to time.

Hopefully Louisa will find that extra mittens will come in handy!


It took me a while to get the hang of working with four needles and creating thumbs with no holes was the hardest, but seven mittens later, I finally completed one with minimal mistakes. 


So here is my perfect mitten pattern:


I used the free pattern from Ravelry (link below) with a few adjustments.
  • for the cuff, I did a K1,P1 instead of K2,P2 (better I think for little ones)
  • after making the thumb gusset I did not add on two stitches because I found a great way to add stitches to the thumb hole ( see link below)
  • instead of using two sizes of needles, I just added about 6 stitches (using M1) after the cuff distributing them evenly around.

Family Mittens from Ravelry

Easy Mittens from Instructibles    (scroll down to view video on how to add stitches to thumb holes)

Blooper Photo:

You never get a good finished product without overcoming a few problems and mistakes. So here are my "bloopers" ..... 7 mistake filled mittens in total! 





Comments

Popular Posts