Spring Containers

 


So spring is finally here! It's early days, but there are lots of little shoots sprouting up in my garden beds like; garlic, alliums, chicks and hens, cushion spurge, rose campion, and more new arrivals everyday. I have to resist the urge to "tidy up" since that usually leads to damaging emerging treasures just waiting to strut their stuff. So, while I wait patiently for spring perennials to fill my beds, I am focusing on spring containers.

If you follow my blog (which I am sorry has been dormant of late!), you will know that I am a big fan of Laura from Garden Answer. I love the way she treats containers as seasonal displays. I used to plunk a planter on my deck and that was it for the season. The arrangement always consisted of frost sensitive plants that you cover up at night or lug in and out while checking for frost warnings as late as mid June! What a pain! Laura, however, creates beautiful planters filled with plants that are resistant to cold temperatures and then switches them out for summer flowers when the warm weather arrives. Plants like heuchera, and pansies can be placed in garden beds or others containers meant for cooler locations. 

Spring Container Ideas

So, here are some of my favorite spring container ideas from Garden Answer. The pot above is bursting with tulips that I planted in layers last fall (thanks to Laura's video!) and stored in my garage over the winter. I am thrilled that they survived and can't wait to see them in bloom!
In the video, below, Laura demonstrates planting bulbs in layers. My pot is tulips only but next year I think I will try a variety. 

Layering Bulbs in Containers

                                                                    Garden Answer



Four Spring Container Ideas

                                                                   Garden Answer


Comments

Popular Posts