Overwintered Geranium/Gnats/and African Violets

 




Just when we get a hint of spring with a day or two of mild temps and sunshine, winter rears its ugly head just to let us know that it's still here. I've completed my winter sowing and (although it's too early) planted a tray of seeds, only to be at a loss for the next project. Thus I've had to content myself with odds and ends of plant related activities and planning for spring.

Potting my Overwintered Geranium

Last year I picked up a geranium from a garden center that displayed stunning foliage. I figured that even if the blooms were not successful, the variegated leaves would be an eye catcher.... and they were!
When the fall arrived I thought I should at least try to save it for next year. I had never done that before! So after a little research, I prepared the plant by taking it out of the soil, shaking off the dirt and placing it in a paper bag to store in my wine root cellar in the basement.
A couple of weeks ago I thought I would take a look to see how it was doing and I was excited to see that there were several tiny shoots starting to appear on a few of the stems. How amazing is that! 


The little white shoot (top right) and another on the left branch were signs of life that I was amazed to see! Unbelievable to think that this plant could live with out light, water or soil for several months and then magically produce new sprouts.


After removing the dead leaves etc. I potted it up and in no time it began to develop leaves as you can tell by the very top photo. 

Gnats!!

In spite of all my weather complaints, we have had the odd mild day and I've noticed a spider or two in the house. Therefore I wasn't really concerned when I saw a few tiny insects that resembled fruit flies. All was fine when I potted my Geranium and planted tomato seeds with a new bag of potting mix and seed starter. But, when I opened the bag of soil that I had used for my "winter sowing" a cloud of tiny flies escaped. I immediately sealed the bag and tossed it outside! Hoping that these critters had not infested the rest of my indoor plants, I began my research.
Apparently gnats are more common than I thought. They enter your house in the soil of house plants brought home from a garden center or in a newly purchased bag of potting soil. It doesn't seem to matter what brand of soil or what nursery a plant came from. It happens to the best of them! Not to worry though! There is a solution. Mosquito Dunks or Mosquito Bits will rid you of the gnat problem.



While you can purchase these "dunks and bits" from local hardware stores, there are other remedies like keeping the top of the soil in your pot dry by using a top dressing such as gravel or sand, or by watering from the bottom up. Mosquito dunks can also be used in ponds and water features to combat mosquitos.

African Violet Care and Propagation

I used to not bother with African Violets because they were "old lady plants". Now I find them charming with their delicate little flowers contrasting in the center of dark green foliage .... or maybe I just like them now that I am an old lady!
I've had a few African violets plants for a couple of years and they seemed to do okay, blossoming occasionally. However, in my world of "time on my hands" (for several reasons) I thought perhaps I should do a bit of research and see if I could improve their blooming frequency. 

Here's what I discovered!
  • They need warmth, light and humidity to keep blooming
  • They should be repotted at least once a year
  • They like containers that keep them a little root bound
  • They can be propagated from leaf cuttings






While there are all kinds of information and videos available to help you become an expert African Violet grower, I love this one from Martha Stewart from several years ago. How sweet are those little violets in tea cups!

Comments

Popular Posts